Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Help a Mom Out

Ok how did you teach your kid to poop on the potty? We are struggling with it. He is happy happy happy to pee and never has accidents...but poop, that is a whole different story.
He is great to tell me when he needs to go pee. He is in big boy underwear all day, i put pull-ups on at night, but that is just cause i don't want him to happen to forget. Although in the last week and a half only one night did he "make his stars disappear" on his diaper (they are magic ones that disappear if they get wet).
I have tried reading books for a half hour when he says he needs to poop. I have tried bribing him with awesome awesome trucks, candy, etc. None work.

So please, i know you all have kids and all had to learn, whats a good tip for this mom.

3 comments:

Januari and Jaden said...

Waylon's motivator was money! The first time, a few coins sat in the bathroom on the counter for days, waiting for him to poop. It only took once of us sitting & crying & I think good timing, for him to "figure out how to make himself go" and he never again had a problem pooping on the potty. Give it a little time and find something that really makes him want to go. Good luck!

Kathy Marvel said...

Does he go on the "big boy" potty (the one we would use)? Only asking because maybe he's afraid of the flush. You know... you poop and flush and what's in the toilet goes down. I know a child that was afraid he would go down with the flush. Just a thought.

Hope you are able to figure it out.

Kylen and Adrienne said...

Does he tend to poop at the same time of day? That's the key. You just watch him to make that face or start to go under the table or whatever he does when he poops, and just take him to the potty without talking to him or asking him. Just sit him on it and hopefully he'll go. (Funny- just as I started typing this I heard Carley's "pooping" grunt and did exactly this. worked like a charm!) If Kyler poops at different times, I find that giving them a cup of apple juice will bring on the poop pretty quickly. Good luck!