Friday, January 4, 2013

Food

Food. Such a simple word. Somthing we all love. Something we usually consume without tons of thought. That is all true till you add food allergies into the game. I have despised learning to cook dairy free. But remember when I decided this is something i need to embrace and become good at. Proving to Heavenly Father that I can be disciplined. At least in some form, well now i like the challange some days. Which is an improvment. I am learning to cook within limitations, and its working.
So meal planning has changed, a lot. I have bought dairy free cook books, found my favorite website in the world that allows you to look through all recipe sites within it, but you can tell it if you have food allergies, it looks through the ingredients and omits the recipes with the allergen  For the most part is does an exceptional job. You get a few, but i can deal with a few. Go HERE to experience the bliss if you have allergerys.
Besides that me and pintrest have become good pals yet again. Lots of people with food allergies (or annoying people who cut stuff out of their diets just cause they are weird. Sorry if you are one of them, but unless you have to, WHY!!!!!!!!!!!) Pet peeve of mine. Maybe cause im still a little bitter about having to learn to never ever use it when i didnt want to and they choose to take things to extremes when they dont need to. Annoying.
Anyway, back on track. I wanted to share my favorites we have had the last couple weeks. I am so eternally grateful for a husband who goes along with all my new recipes. He didnt grow up that way. I try 5 or so new recipes a week at times. Sometimes every meal will be new. He also encourages me to be better about not eating what i shouldn't  Technically beef is in my moderation level. So only eating it once a week or so. Hello i grew up on Beef, with occasional turkey, pork and chicken. Its hard for me to turn away from what i know there, but we have. Its expensive. But i feel so much better and heck we are all so much healthier. We have beef 2 times a week usually, but the rest of the nights its pork, turkey or chicken. We arent vegetarians here. We have meat every night, maybe once a month we will have something without (like last nights dinner) But we eat meat. :)
Anyway here are some of my favorites, and if you have dairy free meals that you love send me to them.
quinoa black bean burrito bowls --didnt add cyanne pepper, added more chili pepper. SO GOOD!
Turkey Burgers--oh my goodness i am in LOVE. They were so yummy. I loved the leftovers. Made it just how it said. Just added some avocado with the lettuce and tomatoes  Dreaming of these. I love ground turkey by the way.
Apple Stuffed Chicken Breast--this one i just omitted the cheddar cheese and butter. I used olive oil in place of butter tohelp brown the chicken.
French Dip Cresants--this is a family favorite. I have made it several times. I bought dairy free mozzarella cheese, the only dairy free cheese that doesn't make me want to puke. Sorry but cheddar is nasty. So for me and Ky i use the dairy free, Brandon and Brookie get cheese sticks cut up. Also, make sure to check the label on the cresants. You can buy dairy free cresants, but look at the labels  some have dairy in them. I think Great Value brand is what i used last.
Cream of Chicken Soup--for this i just substituted soy milk for the milk. I use it in all sorts of stuff. Like we had Hawaiian Haystacks one night then the next night we had Chicken Enchilada soup. To die for. Makes an extra step in making dinner. So i have only done it twice in the last 5 months or so. Lazy. So we dont eat much with cream of anything in it anymore. Which is sad cause i used to use it TONS.

Anyway i just thought I would share some good recipes. Even for Dairy people, these are soooo good. And all this eating healthier stuff....or maybe just really thinking about what i put into my mouth makes such a difference. I still weigh 5 lbs less than i started this pregnancy as....and today marks week 23. Could never say that with the other 2 kids. :) I still get to wear my regular pants, which makes me a happy happy girl.


No comments: