Friday, February 22, 2013

Ear


That 3 letter word holds a lot of emotions and baggage in this house. How can such a small word, a small strange looking body part be such a problem? I will say very first off that i am grateful that we have the challange we have with ears. I would very much NEVER want to deal with hearing loss. I think that would be sooo difficult, but for what me and ears have been through, i am still going to compain for a brief moment.

Rewind about 29 years.....I was born. Awwww I was cute. Look i will even add a cute picture of me... :)
Now this darling little beauty, me, was blessed with a Petersen trait that could have ended before me, and that would have been ok. Its one that unfairly is passed on too easily. That blessed trait is a messed up eustachian tube in the ear. I cannot remember everything about it, but apparently its too small/lets fluid that shouldn't be in there, in. Or something along those lines. This process caused me to get ear infections very easily. The slightest bit of a runny/stuffy nose did me in and i would have an infection. I remember so many ear infections. In fact i had them so often i stopped complaining and would just deal with it, until my ear drum would burst.
I hated it. I resented it. I hated it worse when i was still getting them in college. Maybe its cause im such a kid at heart, or maybe i should say ear. :)

When I had Kyler i wont lie i prayed he wouldn't have the nasty ears i had...... 'Tis not so.
 When I had Brooklyn i prayed harder she would have better ears than Ky...
that prayer did come true, but they are still worse than most kids. I hate it. I HATE IT! I feel so bad. Especially cause I am the one that did it to them. Why couldn't it come from daddy?? That would make me feel so much better...less guilt on my shoulders.

This baby i pray the hardest that please pretty please with a cherry on top, skip one of my kids and let them have their daddy's healthy happy ears!!!

Nevertheless, these two blessings continually get ear infections. Kyler is on his 3rd set of tubes, Brooklyn is on her first. The tubes should help slow the infections down, but for us, they are more like a pain reliever, because they still get infected OFTEN, so they are just my tell tale of an infection and that its time to get meds. One nice dr we used to go to was even kind enough to give me an alternating prescription i could fill when Kyler would get infections so i wouldn't have to keep coming in. Bless that man, he saved me big bucks for about a year while the Rx's lasted.

Why am i complaining. Cause they both have them again. Kylers are so goopy and nasty. More than usual. I took him in Wed and the dr we saw just told me to use drops, i had my doubts that would work, even told him that, but bless him he is a newer dr and he doesn't know me or my kids past. So that's what we did. As i was packing up and grabbing all 5 kids i had to haul to the office (daycare kids) I thought i should have him look in Brooklyn's just cause. He was willing. I am thankful. She had an infection, and clogged tube, just like Kyler had had. Sadly my response was, "oh, so i guess she isn't just stinker throwing fits for no reason....her ears hurt." Yup, my chances at mom of the year were yet again thrown out the window. (and might I add while i am talking about my -not-mom-of-the-year-status and Brooklyn, last night while brushing her teeth she was being funny and we ended up laying down to brush....She has cut 3 of her 2 year old molars!! Poor baby!! Those are owie to cut, and most likely contributed to her bad attitude lately as well. I'm feeling quite small as a mom right now.)

So today, Friday, both kids, all 4 ears, are STILL draining. Thats 4 days of nastiness coming from their ears. Thats a record. My fear that the stupid drops weren't going to be enough have been fulfilled. So here we go to pay yet another huge co-pay for 2 little monkeys to get what i should have demanded in the first place. Good part is that we get to visit our normal dr, who knows these mean ears and how mean they can be. That helps.

So next time your irritated with those weird shaped, strange floppy skin covered cartilage on either side of your head. Know that it can always be worse. . . . I tell myself that each time they get infected and i get angry and sad for my babies. It could always be worse.

The end.

Sorry for the complaining. I have to complain somewhere. :)

No comments: